Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Hobbit Trilogy


According to director Peter Jackson, the Hobbit will now be split into three movies, as opposed to two. (HT: Peter Chattaway and Kyle Cupp)

Two quick thoughts. First, the second movie, originally titled There and Back Again, needs a new name. Second, I'm guessing Jackson must be very ambitious in his plans for incorporating material from outside the book (Gandalf and the White Council fighting the necromancer in Dol Guldur) to consider a third movie, unless he found new ways to pad the story. We'll probably get the full scoop in  2013 or 2014.

Don't forget the inevitable release of The Hobbit Trilogy Blu-ray set in 2014 or 2015!

Now, just imagine if Peter Jackson has more extended editions up his sleeve...

4 comments:

  1. Hey, I just found your blog by way of the Analytic Scholastic. Its good to know that the ever so desperate Catholic/moralist/brony market finally has its voice.

    But, since I am also love Tolkein's works and rpg's, I figured I'd leave a message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E.R.! I also checked out your blog and I’m glad to find another kindred soul in regards to A-T philosophy.

      Delete
  2. I am still afraid of Peter Jackson's treatment though. To be fair, his movies did get me interested in reading Tolkien, however every time I watch The Two Towers I cringe at the warg fight and random elves showing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kuiperbelt, I'm also a bit worried about the trilogy announcement. At the very least, we'll get some idea of whether Jackson made a good choice (and whether he can avoid a Lucas-like slippage) after film one.

      Delete