Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Resolutions


I'm not a big fan of new year's resolutions since they usually involve virtues or vices that we should already be cultivating or avoiding. We don't really need a reminder to take care of ourselves, to be more honest, kind, and generous to others and less of a pain to be around. But, I guess it wouldn't hurt to list a few things not related to my struggle to become a virtuous person (or at least not as obviously related):

1. Start writing and finishing my writing projects (fanfics, blog posts, the MLP Virtue Ethics series, a sci-fi or fantasy novel, etc.)

2. Cut down on the social media distractions from Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube (very important for resolution #1)

3. Learn a new skill, like video editing or drawing.

4. Finally pass Mass Effect 3 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

But the moral resolutions still loom large:

Prideful Trixie


1. I should work on humbling myself, lowering that pride that opens the door to all other vices.

Lazy Rainbow Dash

2. I should fight my tendency towards sloth, which not only leads to physical laziness, but also moral and intellectual passivity. If I let myself be ruled by acedia, not only can I not become an academic philosopher, but I also cannot hope to live a good life.

3. Of course, I should strive to be less of a bad Catholic, turning toward God, the Final End, instead of away from Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment