Monday, April 9, 2012

RPG Catholic

Welcome to the maiden post of RPG Catholic! I suppose I should give a reason for why I intend to pour another blog into an internet cup already full to the brim with interesting Catholic philosophy, theology and even science-fiction sites, most of whose authors are far more knowledgeable and experienced than I am. Well, the only justification I can offer now is that I have a love for certain subjects that I feel like sharing in my own whimsical manner. I'm a lover of wisdom, for example, so I'll have many things to say about the ideas of my two favorite philosophers, Aristotle and St. Thomas Aquinas, and other major intellectual thinkers. As my blog's namesake implies, I'm also a Catholic who happens to like playing RPG games, so I'll have some things to say from a Catholic perspective about certain video games I like along with general observations on gaming culture. I also aspire to become a professional sci-fi or fantasy writer, so I'll review a few of the authors who influenced me immensely and perhaps even post some of my own work in the future.

What do I talk about first? Well, there doesn't seem to me to be a better topic to begin with than ponies! That is, I’ll be reviewing the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic throughout the next few weeks and especially looking at the moral lessons its creator, Lauren Faust, has to share. Some readers might think me odd for being a "brony," an older male fan. I answer that I believe any element of the good, of truth, to found in our culture (film, literature, poetry, even a girl's cartoon) is worth highlighting. Besides, if a philosopher I highly respect like Brandon Watson of Siris can find positive examples of virtue even in the Care Bears, I think it wouldn’t hurt to point out that the same thing is possible for MLP: FiM.

P.S. D.G.D of Sci-Fi Catholic has his own take on the merits of FiM.

No comments:

Post a Comment